Academic Rank: Professor
Subject: Linguistics: Educational and Neuropsychological Approach to Language
Tel: (+30) 24210-74837
- Clinical and Genetic Syndromes and language development
- Learning Disabilities-Oral and written language problems
- First and second/foreign language teaching
- Language and digital literacy in school and non- school environment and in multicultural or/and minority environments
- Development of educational material
- Introduction into Linguistics
- Teaching Greek Modern Language as a foreign language
- Psycholinguistics and Clinical Linguistics
- Teaching Language in General and Special Education
- Accommodations in teaching and the teaching material of the Language subject for students with learning disabilities (postgraduate)
- Specific Language Impairment (SLI) (postgraduate seminar)
- Tuesday 10.00-12.00
- Wednesday 10.00-12.00
Selected administrative positions
- Head of the Department of Special Education since November 2019
- Director of the MSc in Special Education of the Department of Special Education, University of Thessaly, from 2011 to 2015
- Director of the Laboratory of Bilingual Education since 2016
- Coordinator of the host University (University of Thessaly) of the Greek Diaspora Program (funded by Stavros Niarchos Foundation), 3rd cycle, May 2020
- Coordinator of the Program of foreign languages (English and French) for obtaining the diploma for teaching in foreign language schools, equal to 30 ECTS, of the University of Thessaly during the academic year 2018-19 (after evaluation by the Greek Ministry of Education)
- Coordinator of the summer school of Greek language and culture for IKY foreign scholars in August 2015
- Coordinator of the Program of Doctoral Studies of the Department of Special Education of the University of Thessaly since 2013
Funded Research Projects
1.Participation in the research program "Forms of care, school education in the first Greek children's preventorium "the swallows" in Pelion", funded by the Research Committee of the University of Thessaly.
2. Participation in the research program "Investigation of ADHD Syndrome by the method of visual and auditory evoked potentials and Polysomnography (sleep study)", sponsored by the Research Committee of the University of Thessaly.
3. Participation in the research program "Impact of gender and hand selection on foreign language learning", sponsored by the Research Committee of the University of Thessaly.
4. Participation in the research program "The involvement of cerebellum in reading and language ability: Research in adults and children with cerebellum dysfunctions", sponsored by the Research Committee of the University of Thessaly.
5. Participation in the EPEAEK program "Integration of Gypsies in School", Ministry of National Education and Religious Affairs, University of Thessaly, Volos, 2007.
6. Participation in the targeted research program "Planning and pilot application of special Greek language courses for immigrants, parents with children in compulsory education", sponsored by the Research Committee of the University of Thessaly (The Program was awarded, after evaluation, by the National Scholarships Foundation with the "European Language Label 2012").
7. Participation in the project of the Regional Operational Program Macedonia-Thrace-Intercultural Mediators "Development and utilization of teaching material in the fields of health education, mourning management, in-school violence and emotional intelligence" funded by the European Union (Project Code ICT-000602).
8. Coordinator of the research program "Use of Music Therapy for the Development of Speech and bi-subjectivity in children with Autism: A Family-Focused Intervention Model", funded by the Research Committee of the University of Thessaly.
9. Coordinator of the Research Program "Investigating the bilingual transfer of skills from the second/foreign language to the first language through a second language intervention program for students with learning disabilities", funded by the Research Committee of the University of Thessaly.
10.Coordinator of the Research Program "Investigating the interaction theory through the application of customized assessment reading material for students with and without specific reading disorder in foreign language education", funded by the Research Committee of the University of Thessaly.
11. Coordinator of the Greek Diaspora Fellowship Program (in collaboration with the University of Alabama) funded by the Stavros Niarchos Foundation.
- Andreou, G. (2002 1st edition, 2009 2nd edition, 2012 3rd edition). Language: Theoritical and Methodological Approach. Athens: Pedio Publications.
- Andreou, G., Andreou, E. & Vlachos, F. (2006). Individual differences in second language learning among university students, in S. N. Hogan (ed.) Progress in Learning Research, (pp. 81-98). NY: Nova Science Publishers.
- Agapitou, P. & Andreou, G. (2010). Language and Attention Deficit, in Vogindroukas, I, Okalidou, A. & Stavrakaki, S. (eds.) Developmental Disorders: From research to clinical practice (pp. 35-56). Thessaloniki: Epikentro Publications.
- Vlachos, F. & Andreou, G. (2011). Language development in infancy and childhood: Neuropsychological approach and current electrophysiological findings, in Current issues in Neuropsychology: Early detection, assessment and intervention (pp. 140-170). Volos: Publications of the Laboratory of Neuropsychology.
- Andreou, G., Vlachos, F. & Makanikas, K. (2012). Neurocognitive deficits in patients with Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome (OSAS), in T. Heinbockel (ed.) Neuroscience (pp. 93-114). Intech Publications.
- Andreou, G. & Makanikas, K. (2014). Obstructive Sleep Apnea/hypopnea Syndrome (OSAS) and its effects on linguistic/verbal abilities from childhood to adulthood, in G. Andreou (ed.) Language and Special Education: A Psycholinguistic Approach (pp. 185-213). Thessaloniki: Giachoudis Publications, ISBN 978-960-6700-92-7.
- Andreou, G. (2015). Communicative approach of written texts in adolescence, in G. Androulakis (ed.), Language Education: 35 studies devoted to the Professor Napoleon Mitsis (pp. 132-142). Αthens:
- Andreou, G. & Tasioudi, M. (2018). Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome: Does It Really Affect Language Acquisition During Early Childhood?, in E. Babatsouli, D. Ingram, & N. Müller (eds.) Crosslinguistic Encounters in Language Acquisition - Typical and Atypical Development (pp. 175-196). Bristol, UK: Multilingual Matters.
- Andreou, G., Tsela, V. & Tzivinikou, S. (2018). Developmental Dyslexia and second/foreign language learning: Crosslinguistic transfer from Greek as first/native language to French as second/foreign language, in F. Vlachos (ed.) Greek Review on Special Education (special issue on Developmental Dyslexia), (5, pp. 221-252).
- Anastassiou, F., Andreou, G. & Baseki, J. (2020). Learners of English as a foreign language in Greece: the factors of their heritage language and literacy, in F. Anastassiou & G. Andreou (eds.) English as a foreign language: Perspectives on teaching, multilingualism and interculturalism, (pp. 20-39). Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Baseki, J., Andreou, G. & Anastassiou, F. (2020). Mirrors and Windows Made of Language: The Case of Greek Dyslexic and Non Dyslexic Children Composing in Both Greek and English as a Foreign Language (A Linguistic - Cognitive Analysis), in F. Anastassiou & G. Andreou (eds.) English as a foreign language: Perspectives on teaching, multilingualism and interculturalism, (pp. 238-274). Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
Β) Selected publications in International Journals
- Α. Καrapetsas, G. Andreou. Cognitive development of fluent and non-fluent bilingual speakers assessed with tachistoscopic techniques. Psychological Reports, 1999,84, 697-700.
- Α. Κarapetsas, G. Andreou. Visual field asymmetries for rhyme and semantic tasks in fluent and non-fluent bilinguals. Βrain and Language, 2001, 78, 53-61.
- G. Andreou, A. Karapetsas. Hemispheric asymmetries of visual ERPs in left-handed bilinguals. Cognitive Brain Research, 2001, 12, 333-335
- G. Andreou, A. Karapetsas. Accuracy and speed of processing verbal stimuli among subjects with low and high ability in Mathematics. Educational Psychology, 2002, 22(5), 613-619.
- G. Andreou, C. Galanopoulou, K. Gourgoulianis, A. Karapetsas, P. Molyvdas. Cognitive status in Down syndrome subjects with οbstructive sleep apnea syndrome. Brain and Cognition, 2002, 50, 145-149.
- F. Vlachos, G. Andreou, E. Andreou. Biological and environmental influences in visuospatial abilities. Learning and Individual Differences, 2003, 13, 339-347.
- G. Andreou, A. Karapetsas, K. Gourgoulianis, P. Agapitou. Verbal intelligence and sleep disorders in children with ADHD. Perceptual and Motor Skills, 2003, 96, 1283-1288.
- G. Andreou, A. Karapetsas. Verbal abilities in low and highly proficient bilinguals. Journal of Psycholinguistic Research, 2004, 33 (5), 357-364.
- G. Andreou, A. Karapetsas. Perception and comprehension of first and second written language. Applied Linguistics, 2002, 18, 7-18.
- Andreou, G. Andreou, F. Vlachos. Studying orientations and performance on verbal fluency tasks in second language. Learning and Individual Differences, 2004, 15, 23-33.
- Andreou, P. Agapitou, A. Karapetsas. Verbal skills in children with ADHD. European Journal of Special Needs Education, 2005, 20(2), 231-238.
- G. Andreou, N. Mitsis. Greek as a foreign language by speakers of Arabic. Language Culture and Curriculum, 2005, 18(2), 181-187.
- G. Andreou, F. Vlachos, E. Andreou. Affecting factors in second language learning. Journal of Psycholinguistic Research, 2005, 34(5), 429-438.
- E. Andreou, F. Vlachos, G. Andreou. Approaches to studying among Greek university students: the impact of gender, age, academic discipline and handedness. Educational Research, 2006, 48(3), 301-311.
- G. Andreou, I. Galantomos. Proposition for teaching metaphors and idioms of Modern Greek as a foreign language. Investigationes Linguisticae, 2006, Vol. XIII, 1-8.
- G. Andreou, P. Agapitou. Reduced language abilities in adolescents who snore. Archives of Clinical Neuropsychology, 2007, 22, 225-229.
- F. Vlachos, I. Papathanasiou, G. Andreou. Cerebellum and Reading. Folia Phoniatrica et Logopaedica, 2007, 59, 177-183.
- G. Andreou, F. Vlachos, N. Haftouras. The cerebellum and language functions. Psychology, 2007, 14(2), 113-126.
- G. Andreou. Phonological awareness in bilingual and trilingual school children. The Linguistics Journal, 2007, 3(3), 8-15.
- G. Andreou, A. Karapetsas, I. Galantomos. Modern Greek language acquisition of morphology and syntax by non-native speakers. The Reading Matrix, 2008, 8(1), 35-42.
- P.Agapitou, G. Andreou. Language deficits in ADHD preschoolers. Australian Journal of Learning Disabilities, 2008, 13(1), 39-49.
- G. Andreou, I. Galantomos. Designing a conceptual syllabus for teaching metaphors and idioms in a foreign language context. Porta Linguarum, 2008, 9, 69-77.
- I. Dermitzaki, G. Andreou, V. Paraskeva. High and low reading comprehension achievers’ strategic behavior and its relation to performance in reading comprehension. Reading Psychology, 2008, 29, 471-492.
- E. Andreou, G. Andreou, F. Vlachos. Learning styles and performance in second language tasks. TESOL Quarterly, 2008, 42(4), 665-674.
- G. Andreou, A. Karapetsas. Neurolinguistic differences in language processing between the sexes. The Open Applied Linguistics Journal, 2008, 1, 56-58.
- G. Andreou, I. Galantomos. Teaching idioms in a foreign language context: preliminary comments on factors determining Greek idiom instruction. Metaphorik.de, 2008, 15, 7-23.
- G. Andreou, I. Galantomos. Conceptual competence as a component of second language fluency. Journal of Psycholinguistic Research, 2009, 38, 587-591.
- G. Andreou, I. Galantomos. The native speaker ideal in FLT. Electronic Journal of Foreign Language Teaching, 2009, 6(2), 200-208.
- G. Andreou, I. Galantomos, K. Gourgoulianis. The “language” of the unsuccessful anti-smoking campaign in Greece: examples from Greek newspaper headlines. Preventive Medicine, 2010, 51, 336-337.
- G. Andreou. Language impairments of the depressive brain. Neuroscience Letters, 500, Supplement, July 2011, p. e20.
- G. Andreou, J. Baseki. Phonological and spelling mistakes among dyslexic and non-dyslexic children learning two different languages: Greek vs English. Psychology, 2012, 3(8), 595-600.
- G. Andreou, K. Trott. Verbal fluency in adults diagnosed with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in childhood.ADHD Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorders, 2013, ISSN 1866-6116, DOI 10.1007/s12402-013-0112-z.
- G. Andreou, F. Vlachos, K. Makanikas. Effects of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease and Obstructive Sleep Apnea on cognitive functions: Evidence for a common nature. Sleep Disorders, 2014, 1-18.
- Α. Γιάτσου, Α. Παπαδημητρίου, Ε. Δαρδιώτης, Γ. Ανδρέου, Β. Κουτέ. Διαγνωστική αξιολόγηση μαθησιακών δυσκολιών σε παιδιά με επιληψία. Εγκέφαλος, 2014, 51, 94-97.
- P. Stavroussi, G. Andreou, D. Karagiannopoulou. Verbal fluency and verbal short term memory in adults with Down Syndrome and Intellectual Disability. International Journal of Disability, Development and Education, 2016, 63, 1, 122-140.
- J. Baseki, G. Andreou, S. Tzivinikou. (2016). Dyslexia and spelling in two different orthographies (Greek vs English): A linguistic analysis. Journal of Advances in Linguistics (JAL), 7(1), 1172-1191.
- Katsarou, D., Andreou, G. (2017). Receptive and Expressive Semantic Skills in Children with Down Syndrome. International Education and Research Journal, 3(3), 135-136.
- Riga, A., Andreou, G., Anastassiou, F. (2017). Enhancing the language literacy skills of children with Specific Learning Difficulties; a review on the use of technology and the application of innovative teaching methods. European Journal of Educational Sciences, 4(3), 13-18.
- Vaiouli, P., Andreou, G. (2017). Communication and Language Development of Young Children with Autism: A Review of Research in Music. Communication Disorders Quarterly, 39 (2), 323-329.
- Αndreou, G., Segklia, M. (2017). Learning difficulties in first and second language: Preliminary results from a cross-linguistic skills transfer. English Linguistics Research, 6(3), 62-71.
- Andreou, G., Tsela, V., Anastassiou, F. (2018). Reading skills in Greek as a first language and in French as a foreign language among primary and secondary education school children with specific reading disorder. Education and Linguistics Research, 4 (1), 81-102.
- Andreou, G., Athanasiadou, P., Tzivinikou, S. (2019). Accommodations on reading comprehension assessment for students with learning disabilities: A review study. Psychology, 10(4), 521-538.
- Andreou, G., & Segklia, M. (2019). Cross-Linguistic Skills Transfer from the Second/Foreign Language to the First among Students with Learning Disabilities after an Intervention Program in the Second Language. Creative Education, 10, 1023-1036.
- Katsarou, D. & Andreou, G. (2019). Bilingualism in Down Syndrome: A Greek Study. International Journal of Disability, Development and Education, DOI: 10.1080/1034912X.2019.1684458.
International and Greek Conferences
Participation, either with an oral or a written presentation, in more than 200 International and Greek conferences.
More than 1.000 citations (according to ISI Web of knowledge, Scopus, Publish or Perish, Google Scholar h-index 19, h-10index 31) in international journals with high Impact Factor such as Brain and Language, Neuroscience Letters, Neuropsychology, Journal of Abnormal Psychology, The Lancet Neurology, Clinical Neuropgysiology, Journal of Attention Disorders, Cortex, Neuroimage, Behavioral Brain Science, Journal of Phonetics.
Member of the Editorial Board of International Scientific Journals
a)Theory and Practice in Language Studies b) The Linguistics Journal c) Education Research Journal d) Higher Education Studies e) Australian Journal of Learning Difficulties f) GiST Education and Learning Research Journal g) English Linguistics Research h) American Journal of Life Sciences i) Journal of Curriculum and Teaching j) European Journal of Language, Linguistics and Literature k) Advances in Neuroscience Research l) Scientia Research Library m) European Journal of Educational Sciences n) Asian Social Science of the Canadian Centre for Science and Education
Guest Editor of the International Journal of Disability, Development and Education
Referee in International Scientific Journals
Perceptual and Motor Skills, International Journal of Learning, Educational Psychology, Neuroscience Letters, Learning and Individual Differences, Developmental Neuropsychology, Language Culture and Curriculum, Learning and Instruction, Journal of Psycholinguistic Research, Language Learning and Development, Journal of Speech, Language and Hearing Research.
Member in Scientific Associations
- Member in the Linguistics Association of Great Britain
- Member in the Greek Applied Linguistics Association
- Member in the American Association for the advancement of Sciences
- Member in the Greek Association of Language and Literacy
- Member of the International Speech Communication Association (ISCA)
- Member of the International Linguistics Community Online (Linguist List, Directory of Linguists)
- English (excellent, University Degree, University of Athens)
- French (excellent, Superieur III, Professional Degree)
- Graduate from the English Department of the School of Philosophy, University of Athens, Greece
- MSc in Language and Communication Impairment from the Department of Human and Communication Sciences, University of Sheffield, UK
- Phd holder in Neurolinguistics from the Department of Special Education, University of Thessaly, Greece