Academic Rank: Professor, Head of SED Department
Subject: Psychobiology of Human Development
Tel: (+30) 24210-74739
The psychobiological and neuropsychological approaches of learning and developmental disabilities as well as the relationship between brain laterality and cognitive abilities.
- Biological Bases of Development
- Psychophysiology of Learning Disorders
- Physiology of Learning and Memory
- Monday 09:00-11:00
- Thursday 11:00-13:00
Filippos Vlachos was born in Korinthos, Greece). He holds one bachelor degree in Pedagogy (1984), and one in Biology (1988) from the University of Patras. In 1995 he obtained a post graduate diploma in School Psychology and Counselling (University of Patras), and in 1997 received his PhD degree from the University of Thessaly, Greece.
Presently, he is a professor of Human Psychobiology at the Department of Special Education in the University of Thessaly, Greece, where he has taught and conducted research since 1997. His research interests concern, the psychobiological and neuropsychological approaches of learning difficulties and developmental disabilities, as well as the relationship between brain laterality and cognitive abilities.
He is the author of the book Handedness: Myths and Reality (in Greek), editor of the book Brain, Learning & Special Education (in Greek) and co-editor in three more scientific editions. He has published more than 140 articles in referred national & international journals, book chapters and congress proceedings, with more than 700 known citations. He is a member of 6 national & international scientific associations and he is acting as a reviewer for many international as well as for Greek peer review journals. He has also been involved for years in the pre-service and in-service training of teachers in the primary and secondary education.
Today he is Director at the laboratory of the Learning, Language & Communication Disabilities in the University of Thessaly and Director at the postgraduate program “Education Sciences: Special Education”. He has been elected twice as Head of the Department of Special Education at the University of Thessaly and had been member of the University Senate for six years. Additionally, he has administrative experience as member for years in several University committees, scientific committees and organization committees of international and national congresses.
- Vlachos, F., Papadimitriou, A. & Bonoti, F. (2013). An investigation of age and gender differences in preschool children’s specific motor skills. European Psychomotricity Journal, 6, 12-21.
- Vlachos, F., Andreou, E., Delliou, A. & Agapitou, P. (2013). Dyslexia and hand preference in secondary school students. Psychology & Neuroscience, 6, 67-72.
- Vlachos, F., Avramidis, E., Dedousis, G., Chalmpe, M. Ntalla, I., & Giannakopoulou, M. (2013). Prevalence and gender ratio of dyslexia in Greek adolescents and its association with parental history and brain injury. American Journal of Educational Research, 1, 22-25.
- Vlachos, F. Andreou, E., Delliou, A. (2013). Brain hemisphericity and developmental dyslexia. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 34, 1536-1540.
- Vlachos, F., Avramidis, E., Dedousis, G., Katsigianni, E., Ntalla, I., Giannakopoulou, M. & Chalmpe, M. (2013). Incidence and gender differences for handedness among Greek adolescents and its association with familial history and brain injury. Research in Psychology and Behavioral Sciences, 1, 6-10.
- Vlachos, F., Gaillard, F., Vaitsis, K. & Karapetsas, A. (2013). Developmental risk: Evidence from large non right-handed samples. Child Development Research, 2013, Article ID 169509, 10 pages, 2013. doi:10.1155/2013/169509.
- Andreou, E. & Vlachos, F. (2013). Learning styles of typical readers and dyslexic adolescents. Journal of Visual Literacy, 32(2), 1-14. doi: 10.1080/23796529.2013.11674707
- Andreou, E., Vlachos, F., Stavroussi, P. (2013). Multiple intelligences of typical readers and dyslexic adolescences. International Journal of Education, Learning and Development, 1, 61-72.
- Papadimitriou, A. & Vlachos, F. (2014). Which specific skills developing during preschool years predict the reading performance in the first and second grade of primary school? Early Child Development and Care, 184, 1706-1722. DOI:10.1080/03004430.2013.875542
- Andreou, G., Vlachos, F. & Makanikas, K. (2014). Effects of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease and Obstructive Sleep Apnea on cognitive functions: Evidence for a common nature. Sleep Disorders, 2014, Article ID 768210, 18 pages, doi:10.1155/2014/768210
- Bonoti, F., Tzouvaleka, E., Bonotis, K., Vlachos, F. (2015). Do Patients with Alzheimer’s disease Draw like Young Children? An Exploratory Study. Journal of Alzheimer’s disease, 43, 1285–1292. DOI 10.3233/JAD-140528
- Vlachos, F., & Papadimitriou, A. (2015). Effect of age and gender on children’s reading performance: The possible neural underpinnings. Cogent Psychology, 2, 1045224. DOI:10.1080/23311908.2015.1045224
- Stavrussi, P., Vlachos, F., & Pisina, A. (2016). An examination of language and nonverbal abilities in twins with Apert syndrome. International Journal on Disability and Human Development, 15 (1), 63-68.
- Zygouris, N., Vlachos, F., Dadaliaris, A. et al., (2017). The implementation of a web application for screening children with dyslexia. In M.E. Auer et al. (eds.), Interactive Collaborative Learning, Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing (pp. 415-423). Cham, Switzerland: Springer International Publishing. DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-50340-0_36 ISBN 978-3-319-50339-4
- Vlachos, F., Argiropoulos, V., & Papadimitriou, V. (2017). Effects of handedness and blindness on braille reading accuracy. Advances in Neurodevelopmental Disorders, 1, 141-148. DOI 10.1007/s41252-017-0020-x
- Papadatou-Pastou, M., Haliou, E., Vlachos, F. (2017). Brain knowledge and the prevalence of neuromyths among prospective teachers in Greece. Frontiers in Psychology, section Educational Psychology. 8:804. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2017.00804
- Zygouris, N., Vlachos, F., Dadaliaris, A., Oikonomou, P., Stamoulis, G., Vavougios, D., Nerantzaki, E., & Striftou, A. (2017). A neuropsychological approach of developmental dyscalculia and a screening test via a web application. International Journal of Engineering Pedagogy (iJEP), 4, 51-65.
- Segkouli, S., Paliokas, I., Tzovaras, D., Lazarou, I., Karagiannidis, C., Vlachos, F. & Tsolaki, M. (2017). A computerized test for the assessment of mild cognitive impairment subtypes in sentence processing. Aging, Neuropsychology, and Cognition: A Journal on Normal and Dysfunctional Development. doi: 10.1080/13825585.2017.1377679
- Vlachos, F. & Bonoti, F. (2018). Laterality and cognition: Handedness as a factor differentiating cognitive abilities. Dialogues in Clinical Neuroscience & Mental Health (Supplement), 1, 21-22.
- Andreou, G., & Makanikas, K., Vlachos, F. (2019). Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease and Semantic language abilities. Journal of Behavioral and Brain Science, 9(3), 130-143. doi: 10.4236/jbbs.2019.93011.